It doesn't officially feel like fall where we are until we make our annual trip to Porcupine Dam to watch the salmon run and see the great fall colors. There is a breed of salmon in the dam called Kokanee Salmon and every year they swim up river from the dam to spawn. They will actually jump out of the water and up the rocks...against the current. And they are bright red, so you can see them really easily-whole schools of them. It is interesting because they work all summer to eat and get enough energy to make this one run...once they make it up river, they will spawn, lay their eggs and die. I know, a bit morbid, but interesting none-the-less. So if you are ever in our area during the middle of September, I highly recommend taking a little drive and watching this great phenomenon!Sam was a little exciting about trying to catch one and took a bit of a dip in the river. Lucky we had a blanket in the car--she donned a sarong the rest of the night.
1 comment:
I missed going up there this year. Dang it! I forgot all about the salmon run. Remy would have loved it. Next year...
Post a Comment