Friday, September 25, 2009

Our little Harvest

We really enjoy gardening at our house. I've always loved it and thank heavens I have a darling hubby who quite enjoys it himself. The girls have been big helpers and have loved harvesting all the yummy treats our garden has produced! We've had so much fun that we have plans to double the size of it next year. We grew lots of squash and pumpkins, corn, peas, peppers, onions, strawberries and tomatoes. We also planted a raspberry patch that produced a few this year, but should be growing and producing great next year. We are still getting everything figured out...Jaer is all about efficiency and optimizing production...so I'm sure we'll have changes and improvements for next year. But we did have a few prize winners. Our onions and cabbages were out of control. Our largest onion was over 6 inches in diameter...bigger than Sam's melon. We got a truckload of acorn squash, a bumper crop of pumpkins and our crookneck and zucchinis were still trying to produce after it frosted several times. It was so fun! (Did I say that already ;) ).This isn't even all of our onions...I had been picking them for weeks by the time we harvested these. The other photos below are just a few I had taken earlier before the garden was really mature.

2 comments:

Wayne and Jackie said...

Now those are some mega big onions! What you got in that soil around there?

Christen said...

Wow, what a beautiful garden. Looks like we need to take some tips from you. I think we planted too late before it got too cold. Although we do have lots of spinach and swiss chard. And our little Eva turned our tomatoes into a "pumpkin patch" so now they are gone. Better luck next year for us, i guess. I am impressed though. It makes you feel so good too. How fun.